So instead of that, I took a piece of elastic, stretched it over the spot where it needed to be gathered, and sewed it on the seam allowance. This way the elastic “gathers” it, but it can be stretched out for more comfort.
Here is yet another maternity top. I hope you aren’t getting bored with all of these 😉 This one is a bit more fancier and I chose to be my mother’s day shirt.
I used Vogue V8472. It is a dress, but I just used the top portion and trimmed it to come right below my bust. Then I made a long rectangle piece and pleated in the front and back so it would fit all the way around.
The fabric is thrifted. It was a fabulous find in NC during our Thanksgiving trip. I was going to use it for a dress for my daughter, but I decided to use it for me instead. I barely had enough for this top. I had to piece it together on the left back side, making the lines not match up quite. But, I don’t mind and I don’t think most people will notice.
I had this cool vintage black zipper that I wanted to leave exposed, so I did that. Then I made a simple tie from some bright green fabric to tie right above my belly.
The original pattern calls for gathering the front section and sewing it in place, but I wanted it to be a little more flexible.
It is a very easy sew and I’m sure the whole dress would be easy as well. Once this baby comes out I plan on trying the dress and the jacket out. I really like the cut and fit.