Hey everyone 🙂 I wanted to share this real quick. The idea has been in my head for a few weeks now and I finally got around to doing it! Now I get to share it with you too.
For this, you will need a long sleeve shirt. I used a knit one. I’m not sure how well it will work with a non-knit one, but you could make it work I’m sure. Go grab some scissors and pins and let’s transform the wintry shirt into one ready for summer! PS… also remember to use the right needle for knits, etc. It will make your experience so much more pleasant!
1. Lay your shirt flat on the floor.
2. Take the scissors to it and cut out a shape like this. I did one side first, then folded it in half and copied the cut.
3. Cut two long pieces from the sleeves. Make sure they are a decent width (at least 1.5″). For length, I just cut a strip from the longest part of the sleeve. If you need it to be longer for the next step, you can always cut more strips and just sew them together.
4. Take one long piece and pin it around one side of the shirt, right sides facing. Sew in place with at least 1/4″ seam allowance. I think I did a 1/2″.
5. Fold the piece up and over and pin in place.
6. Sew it in place.
7. Fold the top front and back down some to create a casing. The amount is up to you. Pin in place and sew across bottom of fold.
8. Use long pieces from the sleeves to create a piece to tie through the casing. Or you could use pieces from another shirt, ribbon, rope, etc. Make it as long as you like.
I originally was going to have it long like this so I could do a bow and have the ends hanging, but I didn’t like that. So I just ran the piece through the casings, sewed the ends together, and hid the sewed part inside the casing.
Have fun and make it yours!